Curriculum Vitae (2012)
FORMAL EDUCATION: in Great Britain
- 1954 Certificate in Education, University of Birmingham, England: Secondary level, lifetime credential.
- 1953 Bachelor of Science Degree, University of Birmingham, England: Zoology, Principal; Botany, Subsidiary
- 1950 Oxford Higher School Certificate, University of Oxford Delegacy: Chemistry, Botany, and Zoology.
- 1948 General School Certificate, University of London: English, English Literature, Latin, French, German, Mathematics, Physics with Chemistry, Biology.
PROFESSIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE
- 1984-1993 Davis Science Center, now known as EXPLORIT Science Center, Executive Director.
- 1984 Davis Joint Unified School District: Diagnostic pre-testing of elementary school students for special education program evaluation.
- 1978 Dixon Joint Unified School District: Consultant, Mentally Gifted Minor Program
- 1978 Vacaville Unified School District: Consultant, Mentally Gifted Minor Program.
- 1975-1978 Davis Joint Unified School District: Founder, designer, organizer of semi-annual Saturday Conferences at the University of California, Davis for high school students - SAMCON (Science and Math Conference), MADCON (Music, Art & Drama) and HUMCON (Humanities)
- 1972-1978 Davis Joint Unified School District, California: Coordinator, Secondary level Mentally Gifted Minor Program
- 1956-1958 Erdington Secondary Grammar School for Girls: Head of Biology Department. Taught college prep, zoology and botany. Led field study courses at professional field stations.
- 1954-1956 Erdington Secondary Grammar School for Girls, Biology Teacher
VOLUNTEER ACTIVITIES (Partial List)
HONORS & AWARDS
- 2003 -- 2010: Management of Explorit Science Center Gift Shop
- 2000 -- 2001 With artist Kathy West, developed The Book of Science Days which was published and sold to benefit Explorit Science Center
- 1999 -- 2010: Friends of Explorit Treasurer
- 1999 -- 2012: Co founded and co-organized the local Internet Users Group
- 1999 -- ongoing: Volunteered for Davis Community Network as facilitator and instructor for Internet related workshops, classes and drop-ins.
- 1997 - 1999 Participant (Steering Committee member from 1998) in the development of a Pacific Flyway Center - a project of the Yolo Basin Foundation
- 1995 -- ongoing: Davis Community Network (local Internet Provider) Board member and Past Board Secretary
- 1995 - 1999 University of California, Berkeley Center for EUV Astrophysics Education Outreach Program Member Advisory Committee
- 1995 -- 2009: Explorit Science Center Web Master for Internet World Wide Web Site
- 1994 - 1999 University of California, Davis Public Service Research, Informal Science Education Program (ISEP) Member, ISEP Advisory Board
- 1994 -- ongoing: Explorit Science Center Member Board of Directors (as either member or ex officio)
- 1994 - 1996 City of Davis: Co-chair, Youth and Education Sub Committee of the City of Davis General Plan Update
- 1991 Member of organizing committee of an Annual "Careers in Science Conference" for girls held on the University of California, Davis campus
- 1987 member of Davis Chamber of Commerce working on committee to organize the first Davis Street Faire.
- 1986 - 1999 Judge for Sacramento Region I Annual Odyssey of the Mind Competitions
- 1984 University of California, Davis: Participant in planning California Science Project for National Science Foundation funding
- 1982 -- 2000 Davis Science Center (now Explorit): Research, design and fabrication of hands-on activities
- 1980 University of California, Davis: Co-initiator of founding committee for Jupiter Program for gifted children
- 1979 - 1984 Davis Science Center, Davis, California: Co-Founder and member of Governing Board
- 1978 - 1986 Friends of the Gifted and Talented Inc. of Davis: Co-Founder & board member, president for two years
- 1973 - 1989 Davis Joint Unified School District Advisory Committees:
- Pupil Services Advisory Committee (6 years) (Chair for 3 years)
- Educational Advisory Council (4 years) (Sub Committee Chair)
- Community School Committee (2 years)
- Textbook Committee (2 years)
- Mentally Gifted Minor Program Review Committee (1 year)
- Various interview teams for selection of staff and administrators.
- Science Review and Model Program Development Committee (2 years) (Chair of Biological Sciences Sub Committee)
- Science Resource Committee (2 years)
- 1970 - 1973 City of Davis -- working as a volunteer representing the local group DEEC - Founded, designed, organized and operated after-school enrichment courses in academic and practical subjects for K-12 "Learning For Fun" Program was offered by the City of Davis in cooperation the DEEC (below)
- 1972 -- ongoing: Co-founder and perennial officer of Davis Stamp Club
- 1969 - 1973 Davis Educational Enrichment Council (DEEC): Founder member
- 1969 - 1986 West Davis Elementary, West Davis Intermediate, and Holmes Junior High School PTA Board positions including President of West Davis PTA. Also a member of Davis Area PTA Council
- 1965 - 1968 Monta Loma Elementary School, Mountain View, California, and West Davis Elementary School, Davis, California: PTA Library Chair: organizer of library, cataloging, accessioning, loan procedures and library staffing.
- 1993 Retirement - received official resolutions of appreciation from:
- City of Davis
- California State Assembly through Thomas Hannigan's office
- California State Senate through Vic Fazio's office
- 1992 Tierra del Oro Girl Scout 14 county council annual role model award for the "World of Today and Tomorrow"
- 1987 Shared with Evelyn Buddenhagen, the City's Annual Brinley Award for service to the Davis community
- 1983 Distinguished Service Award of the Yolo County Chapter of the Association of California School Administrators.
- 1982 First to be honored by Davis Joint Unified School District in appreciation of many years of volunteer service in the Davis Public School System.
- 1973 PTA Honorary Life Membership.
- 1971 One of two Honorees at Davis Teachers Association Recognition Breakfast.